Kiyoe Howald is an active artist in Southeast Ohio. She is a member of the Eastern Ohio Art Guild, the Southeast Ohio Watermedia Society, and the Zanesville Appalachian Arts Project, (ZAAP).
Her artistic skills date back to middle school in Hakodate, Japan, when her teacher recommended she pursue a career as an illustrator for nature publications. Her life however, took many other turns. Relocations, family, and jobs kept her away from art for many years. When retirement finally came, Kiyoe immediately looked for opportunities to once again study art. She enrolled in Bill Koch's watercolor classes at the Kachilla Art Center in Cambridge, Ohio. Since then she has participated in many different workshops and worked with a variety of mediums. She studied Japanese doll making under Sensei Seiko Matsuda and Japanese Calligraphy under Sensei Kunimoto Hayashi.
Kiyoe's willingness to experiment is apparent in her range of subjects and styles. Her art is sometimes dark, but never foreboding. Her flowers can be life-like an dher abstracts striking. Nature is her most frequent theme, often in intricate detail. Her art may be simple or complex - it may be delicate or strong. Her art is a reflection of her interpretation and appreciation of nature and of her own life's experiences.
Kiyoe's art has been accepted for exhibit at the Ohio State Fair each year from 2004 to 2008. She has also exhibited throughout Southeast and Central Ohio and has won many awards.
- Parkersburg, West Virginia - Art Center
- Athens, Ohio - Dairy Barn Art Center
- Zanesville, Ohio - John McIntire Library
- Zanesville, Ohio - Muskingum College
- Zanesville, Ohio - Ohio University Zanesville
- Tuscarawas Center for the Art
- Newark, Ohio - Ohio State University Newark
- Johnon Hamrick House Museum
- Marietta, Ohio - Marietta College
- Belmont, Ohio - Ohio University East Belmont
- Ohio University, Zanesville
- Tscarawas Center for the Arts
- Zanesville Art Center
- Ohio State Fair, Columbus, Ohio
- Muskingum College, Zanesville, Ohio
- Ohio University - Zanesville
- Ohio University East Belmont